dental license application
Dental Application and Information
Attention all Applicants!!
Background checks are required for ALL license applications. The NC Board of Dental Examiners now participates in LiveScan fingerprinting for all North Carolina residents. See information on criminal background checks here.
Please note that once your application is received by the Board office, the process takes at least 90 days.
North Carolina does NOT have reciprocity with any other state nor does it conduct specialty examinations. The Board offers Licensure by Credentials, effective January 1, 2003, for those qualified practitioners. To view the rules click here.
Download the Dental Licensure by Credentials Application
Licensure by Military Endorsement
All candidates for licensure in this state who do NOT qualify for Licensure by Credentials or Military Endorsement are required to participate in written and clinical examinations.
Written examinations are offered on-line in two subject areas: infection control/sterilization and North Carolina jurisprudence. The only acceptable clinical exams are the CITA Dental exam and the ADEX exam taken after 9/25/13. The optional perio scaling portion of ADEX is required in NC.
Both written and clinical exams must be passed before a license will be issued. Passing either the written or clinical exam alone does not fulfill requirements for licensure. No candidate may engage in the practice of dentistry until the license is issued and properly displayed as required by NC Gen Stat §90-33.
The NC Board currently accepts the ADEX examination (taken after 9/25/13). The ADEX exam is currently administered by the Council of Interstate Testing Agencies (CITA), the Commission on Dental Competency Assessments (CDCA, formerly NERB), and the Southern Regional Testing Agency (SRTA). For more information please visit their websites at:
• Candidates may be eligible for provisional licensure if they have been licensed in another state for two years immediately preceding the date of the application. Licenses must have been granted on the basis of a clinical examination, and NOT on completion of a post-graduate program.
• A provisional license enables a dentist to practice dentistry in this State under the direction of a dentist licensed in North Carolina.
• A provisional license will be valid for one year or until a full license is issued. The provisional license may not be renewed or extended for any reason.
• Verification of licensure is required from any and all states in which you have been licensed. All verifications of licensure must include the signature of the Board’s secretary and the Board’s seal. (An original license or copy of the license is not acceptable)
• The application fee for a provisional license is $100.00 (non-refundable).
• The dentist with whom the candidate intends to practice must send a letter verifying employment before a provisional license can be issued.
• All applicants must take and pass the jurisprudence test and the sterilization/infection control test with a minimum grade of 80 before receiving the provisional license. This test is administered online or can be taken in the Board office Monday-Friday between the hours of 9:00am and 4:00pm.
• It is not necessary to have employment before taking the written exams.
• Anyone having failed any portion of the CITA exam is not eligible to receive a provisional license. By the same token, if a provisional license holder fails any portion of the CITA/ADEX exam, their provisional license immediately becomes null and void.
In addition, the Board reserves the right to further test any applicant who applies for a provisional license in order to be assured of his or her clinical proficiency.
Application for Dental & Provisional Licensure
Download the Dental/Provisional License Application
(This application is for those individuals who took or will take the CITA or ADEX exam)
• Applications by mail may also be requested by
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by Electronic Forms
Executive Office: 2000 Perimeter Park Dr., Suite 160 • Morrisville, NC 27560
Office: (919) 678-8223 or Fax: (919) 678-8472